Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Misplaced Attention

In this week’s issue of “Newsweek,” Anglican bishop N. T. Wright, also a well respected, fairly conservative theologian, was interviewed. He’s written a new book about the resurrection. But that’s not why I’m bringing this up. In June, Anglican bishops from around the world will meet in England for the once each decade Lambeth Conference. High on the agenda is the issue of sex. Lots of POed bishops around the world want to whack the Episcopal Church for its actions in 2003.

“Newsweek” asked the bishop what he thought would happen at Lambeth. It’s his answer to that question that interested me most. He said, “I think it’s going to be messy. It’s not clear quite what the Lambeth Conference could say, that will make things more sharply focused, more wholesome…At the same time, I wish we could prioritize so that we were actually talking about issues of global justice and debt remission and global warming and so on. I mean, there’s something very bizarre about the rich arguing about sex while the poor clamor for justice.”

There you have it. The last sentence pretty much sums up for me the stupidity of the whole debate and the continued tendency of the Church to miss the entire point of its purpose.

I’m reminded of Amos who said:
I hate, I despise your feasts, and I take no delight in your solemn assemblies.
Even though you offer me your burnt offerings and cereal offerings, I will not accept them
…Take away from me the noise of your songs; to the melody of your harps I will not listen.
But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.” [5:21-24]

Amos wrote in the 8th century B.C.E. I guess religious folks are slow learners.

Peace,

Jerry+

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Brother Jerry! JM

Anonymous said...

I know....why are we arguing about this issue (again) instead of working for justice for ALL? The Rev. Susan Russell keeps expressing the same sentiments.

WF