Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An Open Letter

Mr President, I listened to your speech today. I found it moving, hopeful, and realistic in its appraisal of our situation at home and abroad. Yes, and it was filled with idealism as well. A part of me is always attracted to idealism. Ideals such as mutual respect, care for others, concern for the common good, inspire me and draw me in. At the same time, I’ve had my idealism crushed too many times to not recognize that a powerful speech by a new president will likely change nothing.

I say that with a lump in my throat and moisture in my eyes. You have called us to such a higher good that it is almost unimaginable that not everyone will want to join in making it real. Yet, I’m pretty confident, that as you try to bring about the changes you outlined, intra and inter party politics will result in every initiative being delayed, watered down, or completely defeated. The same selfishness that helped create our economic crisis will not go away because you have called us to pull together. The lust for power and control is at least as powerful as the greed that drove us to the brink. I wish I did not believe this to be so, but I do.

I am old enough to remember the many personal sacrifices of the people of our country during WWII. We had our butter and our sugar rationed. Gasoline and rubber for tires were in short supply. Rag pickers regularly moved up and down the street I lived on to gather worn out wash clothes and towels to be recycled. Pleas for iron skillets and aluminum pans to be turned into war materiel were answered with enthusiasm. I remember collecting aluminum foil to help our efforts. There was no sense of entitlement or wish to be excused from the sacrifices; no sense that “none of this applies to me.”

But my life as shown me that those who taste power and wealth are unlikely to want to sacrifice any of it for the common good. And these are those who actually run our country in public office and behind the scenes, on Wall Street and in board rooms. Power is just heady stuff. It’s an addiction that’s hard to break. And wealth? The mortgage payment on the gated community or the McMansion are too high to move the speculators and brokers to thinking about the retired or less affluent people in the community who are struggling to make it. If there is a buck to be made, it will be made—damn the consequences for the “little people.” Real change just seems so unlikely.

I’m sorry I’m so pessimistic about all this. I don’t want to feel this way. But I remember being excited about other presidents and other administrations only to be disappointed in what they were able to accomplish. Good men, such as Jimmy Carter, who was simply over his head. Sincere men, such as George Bush, who took bad advice and held to his idealism with damning consequences.

Perhaps this time it will be different. I hope so, Mr President. I’ll do what I can. You are my president and you’ll have my support, my encouragement, and my prayers.

Peace,

Jerry+

1 comment:

Sharon Fargo said...

I fear you are probably right, Jerry. If Obama can't succeed,either through his own fault or the fault of others, there will be such a sense of disillusionment in America. It will be hard to recover from. Then there will be those who will gloat, too.