Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Temptations

Last Sunday's Gospel is Mark's version of Jesus' temptation following his baptism. If you're familiar with Luke and Matthew, this seems like the Reader's Digest version, doesn't it? Where are the three conversations with Satan and the temptations that went along with them? They're not there.

I actually like this version better. Matthew and Luke have the temptations come to Jesus only after his 40 days--after he is at his strongest. Reading Mark's makes it sound as if the temptations came throughout the 40 days when he is struggling with his call and the nature of his ministry. Matthew and Luke have the angels ministering to Jesus after the three temptations. Mark makes it sound as if they are with Jesus all along.

Why do I like this better? In my own life, temptations don't necessarily come when I am most prepared, such as after completing a spiritual discipline. They often come unawares, and almost always when I'm not really spiritually strong--or feeling strong. That's what Mark seems to let us think about Jesus.

Oh, you say, but what about the angels? They don't stop the temptations, they support Jesus, probably during and afterwards. They represent God's grace and power accessible to Jesus. And of course, to us.

So I like this story because I can identify with it. What about you?

Good Lent to you,

Jerry+

No comments: