Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Leading Worship

Last Saturday, along with the Dean of the Cathedral of the Diocese, I had the pleasure and responsibility of training Eucharistic Ministers and Lectors for the Diocese.

That alone is a bit surreal since I'm United Methodist. I was introduced as one who "knows more about this than most Anglicans." I doubt it, but I do know a lot because for seven years I was responsible for selecting, training, scheduling and overseeing 80 to 100 of these in the Episcopal Church where I was on staff as one of the clergy--something else that's surreal.

I took it very seriously and I took the job Saturday seriously as well. Why? Eucharist Ministers in the Episcopal Church typically administer the chalice in the service of Holy Communion and Lectors read the lessons. These are incredibly important tasks for those who are leading worship. In two different ways, these folks are mediating the grace of God to others, one by reading God's word, the other by administering a sacrament.

Without mentioning all the things I talked about, I want to mention one. I reminded those who serve that there is not a test that makes one eligible for hearing the Word or for receiving the cup. What each person believes is not at issue. How each person lived the previous week is not at issue. We have agreed as Christians to have our differences but to gather for worship without having some litmus test administered. We have agreed to leave to God whether or not someone is worthy to come and worship in these ways, and by the way, we believe God has already acted on who is invited.

One of the principles behind this position is that before God, we are all loved and accepted. And, it is hoped, by acting this way in worship, we will be able to actually love and accept those who are, in fact, different from us. Now if we could only pull that off.

Peace,

Jerry+

No comments: