Monday, May 4, 2009

50-1

The TV was on and the preshow of the Kentucky Derby playing. I happened to look up as I walked through the room and noticed the line up and the odds. One popped out. There was a horse with 50-1 odds.

Carol, my wife, was in the room sort of watching and I pointed out the 50-1 horse and said, "Why even bother?"

Well now we know. Against all odds, the dog in the race won, going away!

I couldn't help thinking about this the next day as I worked on a sermon. Against all odds, an strange assortment of Jews decided the resurrection of Jesus needed to be remembered and it needed to be shared with others. The world changed because of that decision.

More reflection brought more examples of "against all odds" in my own life. While not every long shot has worked out well, far more did than didn't. Perhaps for those of us who still struggle with problems in our lives and in our communities, we can remember that just because the odds are against us doesn't mean we don't give the important things in life a shot. Who knows? We could achieve what we wish for and believe in "going away."

Peace,

Jerry+

No comments: