Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Dream Dreams

Next Sunday is Pentecost Sunday. Peter is reported in the reading from Acts appointed for that day to quote Joel to help the amazed people understand what is happening as the cosmopolitan crowd each hears the message in their own language. A part of that quote reads, “…I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams.” I love that quotation!

I’ve been one of those “young men” who saw visions, not as literally as the passage seems to suggest, but visions nonetheless. Though I’ve always had a streak of the cynic in me, what many failed to see was the idealism that was there as well. More than once I saw a vision of how a group of fellow Christians, or even fellow humans, could be more than they had been. And once, a long time ago at a slightly rundown campus center, others could see that vision as well. I will go to heaven proud of what the Interfaith Center became—at least for a time. Lives were shaped forever as that vision was realized.

Now I’m at the other end of God’s promise, “old men shall dream dreams.” My father didn’t live much past the age I am now. And as much as I loved and admired him, I don’t think as an old man he had any dreams left. My older brother seemed not to have dreams either once he reached my age. They are the old men with whom I have most personal history and experience. But I find my imagination still outpaces my actual opportunities. I mentioned to a friend just yesterday that, out to pasture I may be, but I find I still feel as if I have more to do and to give for the sake of a better world. Alas, and I don’t mean for this to seem as if I’m feeling sorry for myself, I don’t see situations in which I could give as much as I feel I have to give. Not that I can do nothing—I still teach and train. But it doesn’t feel the same.

So, if this is not a blog about frustrated I feel, what is it? I mean for it to be a blog about visions and dreams. I have the dreams and I hope to find a way. You have visions and dreams, too. Find you opportunities and pursue them for the Kingdom’s sake.

Peace,

Jerry+

No comments: