Monday, July 6, 2009

Connection

Last night my wife and I attended the touring production of Wicked. Weird, but fun story of the Wicked Witch of the West, Glenda, the Good Witch, and how the Tin Man and Scarecrow came to be. Wildly popular show everwhere. When it finishes its run here, 57,000 people will have seen it.

All this is to set up what I observed before, at intermission, and immediately after the show. Cell phones flashing on! By the dozens! People were either checking email, twittering, checking calls or something similar. They weren't talking to the people around them. In fact, in more than one case, people who were sitting together were each on their phone, punching buttons, as it were, with single-minded intent.

I carry a cell phone. I've had one since the days of the "brick." I had it with me last night. Turned off. I turned it on when we got in the car. I find it to be very useful. Recently when I had my wreck, I used my cell to call for help. I have nothing against cell phones.

But, what I wonder about is the motivation behind the umbilical attachment to them. Back in the 70s I was on the road a lot and I had a CB radio. It was the fad in those days. Discussing it with a colleague, I opined that it was the equivalent to the old front porch on which people sat and said "howdy" and more to those that walked down the sidewalk in front of their houses. I wonder if there is a built in longing for connection that prompts Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and more? Is the electronic connection the best we can do these days?

Again, I'm not against electronic connection. I use email to stay in touch with friends, especially those far away and, obviously, I blog. My question is about what seems to be an obsession with the devices, even to the exclusion of interacting with those around you. And I guess at a deeper level, I wonder what hole all this connection is trying to fill?

Of course, I can't help thinking theologically about it. Wonder what you think? How about leaving a comment to let me know?

Peace,

Jerry+

No comments: