Monday, February 25, 2008

What's Wrong With This Picture?

As I was getting dressed this morning, I flipped on the radio. At the newsbreak, I heard a report that People Magazine was offering $6,000,000 for the rights to the first photos of Jennifer Lopez’s new twins. Yes, $6M! And I couldn’t help but ask myself, “What the hell is wrong with us?”

People Magazine is not stupid (well maybe, but let me go on). They know they will sell enough magazines featuring the pictures to get their money back and then some. What does that say about us? Why do we care what Jennifer’s kids look like? Why do we care what any of the celebrity kids look like? And just this morning in my local paper, there is a picture of Angelina Jolie with, as the paper said, “a bump.” She’s pregnant. So what? Why did that take up page two space in my local paper?

My son is in Iraq, in Baghdad. He tells me that every day there is some more good news about what’s happening there. Schools opening. Shopping districts coming back to life. Where’s that news? And a friend of mine whose son just returned from Iraq told her this story. His unit came upon a little girl who had hurt her foot. They gave her medical care and went along their way. The next day, when they were coming down the same road again, she saw them and ran into the middle of the road and lay down. Puzzled by this, someone from the lead vehicle got out to investigate. She was able to show them that a few meters more down the road there was a freshly planted mine. She saved lives as a way of thanking those who reached out to her. Why didn’t that story make the news?

What’s wrong with us?

I can’t even sign off with my usual “peace” today.

Jerry+

No comments: