Sunday, March 2, 2008

What's Wrong Redux

A few days after my last post, I’m again listening to the radio. The DJs are talking about the proper amount to tip various people. Then they open the phone lines and they receive a call. The caller reports she has hired a balloon and spin art person to go to her son’s kindergarten class for her son’s birthday. The cost is $125 per hour with an hour minimum. She goes on to say the teacher will only let the person stay for half and hour. Her question is: should she still tip since he’s working only half an hour and being paid for an hour?

My question is: what in the world is she thinking? She’s spending $125 to entertain kindergartners! Kindergartners! And my second question is: why does she have to call a DJ to find out whether or not to tip? And I’d be willing to bet this is not the “official” birthday party. God only knows how much she’ll pony up for that.

I hate to be ranting here, but how did our priorities get so out of whack? If this little kid gets this kind of treatment at 4 or 5, what will he/she expect at 10 or 15? No wonder we have a generation of people with such a misplaced sense of entitlement. And now they are doing it to their kids.

I’m all for letting kids enjoy life. But I think maybe $25 might have accomplished the same thing and the $100 difference could have been given to the Food Bank to provide 50 meals for people in real need. I’m aware I waste money, too. And that I could do a better job of sharing what I have with others. But somewhere, somebody has got to say something and do something about the way we are treating our kids.

Peace

Jerry+

No comments: