Thursday, June 18, 2009

I'm OK Now

Rodney Dangerfield began most of his comic bits with, "I'm OK now, but you should have seen me last week." I know just how he felt.

A week ago today, I was involved in a car accident that totalled both cars. I was hit in the driver's side, taking out the door and the left front fender--and obviously lots more. Just didn't see the car coming and she hit me at about 35 mph. She was unhurt, for which I am very thankful.

My left hand was hit by the side air bag because when I saw the car, I threw my hands in front of my face thinking there would be glass flying. It sustained significant bruises and one of the vessels on my pointer was ruptured so there was blood. Later I found seat belt bruises too. And my neck and right shoulder sustained soft tissue injuries.

I don't remember a time when I have been any more afraid than when I saw her SUV and knew a crash was inevitable. I've joked and told people that I said either "O God!" or O shit!" The truth is, I only know I said something, but I don't know what. People were immediately at the car to help me climb out the passenger's side door. My glasses had been knocked off and I couldn't find them, so someone climbed in the car and helped with that.

The police were almost instantly at the site--must have been in the neighborhood; we didn't even have to call. I was very shaken and my finger kept bleeding so they asked if I wanted an ambulance. I didn't. Somewhere in the process, I called Mike, my son, who came to take me to the minor medical center and take me home. He was calm and calming, and of course, supportive. In fact, the only people I had to deal with who were a bit, how shall I put it--uncaring (?) was the tow truck driver who required $125 in cash before towing the car. But everyone else, insurance claim agents, rental car agents, medical personnel, police, the bank, the car dealer, even the other driver, were all polite, concerned, caring, and helpful.

The past week is kind of a blur. Multiple times an hour, I still see the SUV bearing down on me, but the emotions are leveling off. Driving feels like it did when I was a learner: nothing is automatic and the "enemy" is everywhere. I know this will eventually pass.

Carol, my wife, has been a champ. Even though this is going to cost us some bucks that are a little harder to come by these days to replace the car and an increase in insurance payments, she keeps saying, "The main thing is you're OK." That is the main thing. Nobody was seriously injured. The worst we have to deal with is inconvenience.

Oh, in the midst of all this confusion, straightline winds knocked out power out for 24 hours.

Is this a parable for those of us who are still working, who aren't missing meals, whose power is still not still out five days later, whose health and welfare are in good shape? Perhaps we whine about the wrong stuff. I'm OK now and I feel a deeper sense of appreciation for being alive and well. I thank God for that. Going forward, I'll try to keep that the main thing.

Peace,

Jerry+

No comments: